Book Review: The Orphan King

It’s been a long time since my last book review. It took me a long time to get back into reviewing books, and trying to carve a bit of uninterrupted time now to write a quick review is harder than I thought. I’m way behind in my reviews.

orphan king

The latest book I’ve read is The Orphan King, by Sigmund Brouwer. It’s set in medieval England, and it’s wrapped in mystery. I really thought this was going to be a great book, especially with the series title of “Merlin’s Immortals”. Unfortunately, it was rather lackluster. I had to force myself to pick it up again so I could review it, which saddens me because I love medieval stories and the mystery//fantasy genre. After thinking on it for a bit, I believe the reason why I couldn’t get into it was because I was confused and lost throughout much of it. There’s a lot of backstory, it seems – places and people that it feels like I should know, but I don’t. It’s almost too much mystery, and not much is revealed so I was left confused and wondering what was really going on.

The pros: Lots of action, suspense, mystery, and clever uses of chemistry (the science kind). I really liked Katherine…she was my favorite character.

Cons: Not enough answers! What’s the deal with Magnus? Who is Katherine, really? Who are the Immortals? Who is Sarah? Where did she come from?

I found myself waiting for answers that were never given. Granted this is the first book in a series, so hopefully more will be revealed.

I rate it a 3 out of 5.

*I received this book via the Blogging For Books program, and my opinion is my own.*

2 comments:

  1. Maybe enough time hasn't gone by so that you have your mojo back. Each person grieves differently and you might need longer for in-depth thinking and this book sounds like it is required :) Good review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a hard book in the beginning and definitely lots of unanswered questions at the end, but I did love it and could not stop swooning over the cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS