Book Review: Where Lilacs Still Bloom

wherelilacsstillbloom

My apologies to Waterbrook Multnomah (Blogging for Books) for not finishing this book earlier. I had started reading it shortly before my sister passed away last month, and I just didn’t feel up to finishing it until recently.

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I requested Where Lilacs Still Bloom, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It’s an inspirational story of Hulda Klager, a German immigrant in the early 1900s.

Hulda’s interest in creating the perfect apple for  making pies blossoms (yes, pun intended) into a desire to breed a twelve petals creamy white lilac. Her foray into hybridization and plant breeding is met with both support and resistance. This is an inspiring story of Hulda’s determination, humility, personal growth, loss, and her impact on others across the country.

I love gardens, and the author painted a visual landscape with words – I could see the rows of lilacs, the farm, and even Hulda’s front porch in my mind.

A wonderful account of an inspirational woman. I give it 4 out 5 stars.

(I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS