Project Diaper

It really is amazing the little things that God provides.

By now you probably know that my boys wear cloth diapers. Last July we made the switch and it saved us so much money. Between a not-ready-to-potty-train 2 year old and a 6 month old, we were buying two boxes of diapers (2 different sizes) every month, and it was $30 for each box at Sam’s Club. We spent under $90 on cloth diapers from Cottonbabies.com. Was that $90 investment worth it? Considering that we’ve saved approximately $600 by not buying disposables, I’d say it was a pretty sweet deal :)

On to the point, my mother in law gave me a gift card to Hobby Lobby for my birthday, and I was stumped on what to spend it on. Or rather, what *not* to spend it on – I love Hobby Lobby and could spend hours in there.

I was hoping I could find some fabric at my local store so that I could play with my new toy, but my store didn’t have a great selection, and I didn’t want to purchase fabric willy-nilly without a plan in place of how to use it. So off to Pinterest I went, searching for sewing ideas. That’s when I came across the idea of trying my hand at making cloth diapers. With baby #3 on the way, it’d be a good idea to have a few newborn sized cloth diapers on hand. And I’m up for the learning experience.

So I did some research online, found a couple of free patterns and tutorials, and all I needed to do was find the fabric. Since my local Hobby Lobby didn’t have the waterproof fabric, I was bummed and figured I would have to wait until I could find some wiggle room in the budget for it. But things turned out a little differently…

On a whim, I went to Hobby Lobby online. Lo and behold, they had fabric in stock online!! And they carried the waterproof PUL fabric I needed to make the diapers!

This is a swatch of the owl fabric, isn’t it cute?

 

I happily filled up my virtual shopping cart with the supplies I needed and checked out.

Bonus #1: I didn’t even use the entire gift card amount. So if I need to, I can get more PUL fabric.

Bonus #2: I was able to apply a 40% coupon to the fabric.

Bonus #3: FREE SHIPPING!

Woohoo! I can’t wait to find the package at my door! :)

2 comments:

  1. That was so sweet of Dorothy to give you such a wonderful gift card! I love the fabric/pattern. You are so much like your Mimi with your sewing "gene" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you like your new toy! That is a great idea you have. I wish I had thought of it when I had my babies.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS