Homemade Cloth Diaper Laundry Detergent

I’ve seen tons of homemade laundry detergent recipes floating around on Pinterest and blogs lately, but after researching, none of the ones that include grated soap work well for cloth diapers. The soaps cause a buildup over time that decreases absorbency in the diapers, and nobody wants that! :)

After extensive Googling, I didn’t find very much. That is, until today! I found a blog that led to another blog that led to another blog…you know how that goes, and ended up at Sisters N’ Cloth, where I finally found a homemade laundry detergent recipe that will clean cloth diapers without leaving residue.

The recipe, courtesy of Sisters N’ Cloth:

1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1/2 cup Oxyclean

Combine all ingredients.

Use 2 tablespoons for a small load, 1/4 cup for a large load.

 

IMG_9009

 

This couldn’t have been easier to make. I made mine this afternoon. I found everything at Walmart in the laundry aisle, and spent $8.58 for all three ingredients. That’s less than the cost of most regular detergents, and way cheaper than the special detergents just for cloth diapers. And only 2 tablespoons? Yes please!

I’ve also read that I can add a few drops of essential oil for fragrance, but I haven’t done that. After a few loads I’ll figure out if that’s something I want to do. I’ll be experimenting with scoop levels and load sizes, of course, but I go through liquid detergent so quickly that I really hope this is going to be my new laundry staple. And I’m very pleased that this is able to be used for our clothes & linens too.

Off to tackle Mt. Laundry!

 

Linking up at Skip To My Lou & Growing Home’s Teach Me Tuesday.

 Growing Home

6 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful and easy! I have been struggling to find a good detergent for our cloth diapers. I just pinned this so I can remember to make it :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you like it! I visited your site and wow, those desserts have me drooling! ;)

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic! I hope it works well. Did you see my DIY post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I am almost due with my first baby and we are doing cloth diapering and I was not sure about the detergent so this is perfect!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I wish cloth diapering had been on my radar when I had my first son. I hope the detergent works well for you! :)

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS