Book Review: To Die For, A Novel of Anne Boleyn


What would you sacrifice for your best friend? Would you die for her?


todiefor
I love history. When it’s combined with fiction, the result can either reinvigorate an era or be downright atrocious.

To Die For by Sandra Byrd falls into the former category. I felt like I’d been transported back in time.

Meg Wyatt is the best friend of Anne Boleyn, and becomes mistress of wardrobe when Anne joins royal court of Henry VIII. Both are subjected to a whirlwind of riches, political betrayal, and religious upheaval. Meg is the definition of a loyal friend, and despite the obstacles she & Anne face together and independently, their relationship remains unbreakable, even to the point of death. Anne Boleyn is often vilified in most accounts - but this is a fresh and inspiring take on her character. I found Meg’s insider perspective to be unique and creative. I loved getting to know this side of Anne.

I was especially impressed with the details. Dates, councils, even the meticulous description of the garments – it’s so vivid and reflects a great deal of research. The depth of character development, historical detail, and the wonderful infusion of church history kept me absolutely mesmerized. This is not a chick lit novel. Far from it.

It usually takes me a while to finish a book these days, but To Die For was such a good read, that I read it in one day! I just couldn’t put it down. And honestly, I was a little sad that it didn’t keep going. Don’t get me wrong, it ended well, but who wants a good story to ever end? This is the first Tudor fiction I’ve read, and I’m completely hooked. I definitely recommend this book, especially if you’re interested in Tudor fiction. It was simply excellent.

Find it on Amazon!

 

And because I’m curious, what are some good books you’ve been reading lately? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS