Book Review: Veiled Rose

 

Veiled_Rose

 Rose Red trusts no one with her secret. She hides in the forest, her face veiled with rags, shunning the company of all to save her old father and her nanny goat. Her life is bleak and lonely.

Until she meets a privileged young man sent to spend his summer in the mountains. Headstrong Leo startles everyone by befriending Rose Red, and together they begin searching for the monster rumored to be stalking these lands.

But the hunt, which began as a game, holds greater risk than either imagines. Soon both are forced to test their trust in each other as a far more terrifying scourge puts their entire land at risk.

Veiled Rose is the second book in the Tales of Goldstone Wood series. I haven’t read the first book, Heartless, but I fully intend to do so. As a fan of the fantasy genre, I was looking forward to reading Veiled Rose, but I did not expect it to be so exceptionally well-written. WOW, is all I have to say. I’ve read it once through, and I’ve started it over again. There are layers and layers to this book, and I’m still trying to wrap my head around the allegorical storylines. As mentioned, this is the second book in the series, but you don’t have to read the first in order to understand it – these are new characters. I was intrigued by this particular mythology of fairies, as well, and it really serves to highlight the friendship between Rose Red and Leo.

This book took me on an adventure full of mystery, and I’m happily embarking on it again. If you’re a fan of fantasy fiction, I think you’ll appreciate Veiled Rose. I’m looking forward to Book Three!

(I received this book from Bethany House Publishers for free as part of their book review program.)

If you would like to read the first chapter of Veiled Rose, go HERE. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Taylor,
    Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the encouraging comments you've left on my blog...also, something about this book reminds me of "The Village" (except I think this book might scare me a little more than that movie did)Hope you have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I just now see this comment? I'm so sorry I missed it. I enjoy keeping up with you guys (big family of four now!) and I miss you bunches!

      Also, the book wasn't scary per se, just a little intense in some places. But it was more mysterious, with more of a Narnia sense than The Village (which creeped me out too).

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS