Review: The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck

The-Inconvenient-Marriage-of-Charlotte-BeckLet me preface my review with a few things. I’m not a huge fan of chick lit and/or Christian inspirational romance, in either book or film. Also, I didn’t realize that this book was the third book in a series, so I was unaware of the history in the character development and plot. I imagine the book would be a better reading experience if the other two books were read first. It’s split into two basic sections – the first part is before Charlotte attends college, and the second half is set four years later when she graduates.

Charlotte Beck is a young woman living in the American West in the 1800s, and she is most decidedly non-conformist in her aspirations – her desire is to attend college, obtain a degree, and assist her father in managing his business before marriage. Those of you who have read Pride & Prejudice: think of Charlotte as Lydia Bennett, only with a brain. She’s constantly scheming, ambitious, awkward, silly, but somehow possessing enough wit to withstand her society. I found her difficult to like in the first several chapters, but as frustrating as it was, it aided in her character development, because she improves quite a bit throughout the book.

Enter Alex Hambly, a wealthy British astronomer. His desire in life is to study the stars in peace, but remains torn between his wish to study and his duty as head of his family. His family is in financial ruin, placing more pressure on Alex to bring results. When Charlotte’s father approaches him about a marriage of convenience with Charlotte and a promise to erase Alex’s debts, it’s an offer that he can’t refuse. However, Alex and Charlotte have already met previously, and their mutual dislike of each other only serves to complicate an otherwise smart marriage. The book’s main plot explores the two characters as they plan to secretly annul the marriage. But when Alex has a change of heart and decides not to pursue annulment, Charlotte isn’t exactly pleased. Reconciliation between the two is impossible, or is it?

There have been some who criticized the book for not being Christian enough, but I’d venture to submit that while it doesn’t drop Scripture on every page, the principles and values upheld within the story by various characters make it appropriate for the Christian label. My one criticism of the book is that the last few chapters felt rushed and hasty, not at all like the rest of the book. Other than that, the story was entertaining. If you like inspirational romance, you might enjoy it, but you may want to read the first two books in the series in order to have a better understanding of the premise.

**I received a copy of The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck from Waterbrook Multnomah as part of their Blogging For Books program, and my review is my honest, unpaid opinion.**

3 comments:

  1. I read this book and really liked it. Glad you stepped out of your "norm" and enjoyed it. Have a super week! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Diane! You're right, it was good to read something that wasn't from my usual genres. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the book. I'm stepping out of my "box" and reading a fantasy/sci-fi!

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS