Book Review: The Lady of Bolton Hill

ladyofboltonhill

Baltimore, 1870s.

Clara Endicott was born into a world of wealth, surrounded by nothing but the very best her family could offer. Her love for music is shared by an unlikely source – a boy who works in the Baltimore steel mills, Daniel Tremain. They become nearly inseparable, until Clara is sent to London. After being separated for twelve years, they find that both of them have changed – Clara is a journalist defending social justice, and Daniel is one of the wealthiest rail barons in the country. They soon find out that amidst their ethical and political differences, there are enemies waiting to destroy everything and everyone they stand for.

I’ve stated before that I’m not a big fan of inspirational romance novels. Well, I’m officially a fan of this one, because not only did I wait impatiently to receive this book for reviewing, but I read it TWICE. I’m also not one to judge a book by the cover, but with this book, I totally did.

The Lady of Bolton Hill is the debut novel by Elizabeth Camden, and I have to say, she really set the bar for herself. It’s not your basic boy-meets-girl plot, and that’s very refreshing. There are economical, political, and ethical subplots, and a religious undertone that becomes one of the defining factors in the characters’ choices. The historical aspect is excellent – Camden writes vividly, focusing on the little details and intricacies without losing the flow of the plot, and the social issues she tackles are moving and well-written. There’s almost something for everyone in this novel: romance, humor, social justice for child labor, unions versus corporations, opium trading, and even the music of Chopin.

I definitely rate this one 5 giant stars. :)

**I received this book for free through Bethany House Publishers**

1 comment:

  1. I loved it, too! There was so much depth to the characters. I look forward to Elizabeth's next book.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS